Today, Renfrew County and District Health Unit (RCDHU), is confirming that in addition to the one student who previously tested positive for COVID-19, one staff member at Bishop Smith Catholic High School in Pembroke has tested positive for COVID-19. Two confirmed cases that are linked within the school meets the provincial guideline for the declaration of an outbreak. All staff and students who have been deemed to be close contacts of the positive cases, have been given direction to go home immediately to self-isolate and arrange for testing. Bishop Smith Catholic High School remains open for in-person learning.
RCDHU is working closely with the Renfrew County Catholic District School Board to ensure necessary measures continue to be in place to protect all students, staff and the public. RCDHU staff is actively investigating the cases and all high risk contacts will be contacted by RCDHU. If you are a high risk contact:
- You MUST self-isolate and self-monitor for symptoms for 14 days. Do NOT return to work, school or child care, in-person;
- Call the Renfrew County Virtual Triage Assessment Centre (RC VTAC) at 1-844-727-6404 to book an appointment for testing;
- If test result is negative, continue 14-day isolation because of exposure and because COVID-19 could have been developing (incubating) at time of test;
- If test result is positive, continue to self-isolate and you will be contacted by RCDHU.
If you have been directed to self-isolate, you are required to:
- Stay home. Do not go to work, school, child care, or public places. You can go outside, but you must stay on your own property. Do not walk around the neighbourhood.
- Avoid contact with others. No visitors unless deemed essential (e.g. care providers), stay in a separate room away from other people within your household, use a separate bathroom if possible.
- If these steps are not possible, maintain a distance of 2 metres from others at all times.
- Keep your distance. If you are in a room with other people, keep a distance of at least 2 metres and wear a mask or face covering that covers your nose and mouth.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
RCDHU is reminding residents to complete the COVID-19 self-assessment tool or COVID-19 school and child care self-assessment tool daily if you go to work, school or daycare, to monitor for symptoms and proper guidance.
For more information, visit RCDHU’s website at https://www.rcdhu.com/novel-coronavirus-covid-19-2/ or call 613-732-3629 or 1-800-267-1097.
– 30 –